Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bonfires and Paying it Forward.

Today has been a long, busy day. It started way too early, with my roommates cellphone alarm going off around 6:30 and included a doctor's appointment, lousy French test and numerous hours spent glued to the computer in the library working on an English paper.

Days like today make me appreciate other days, like the ones I had this weekend. Though today was a little rough--in more ways than one--I had a really great weekend. Three days off is a good foundation of a positive weekend in my book! At first, I was disappointed that everyone seemed to be going up to Whistler for "college weekend" but me. I didn't have the plans, or passport to make it happen.

But I realized; hey, why dwell on something you can't change? Why not plan something fun and spontaneous? So that's what I did. I got together a group of girls and we went off on an adventure to the Island. It ended up being excellent warm weather for a late-night bonfire. We made dinner, watched trash tv, drank wine, made s'mores and roasted marshmellows...most importantly we just hung out and enjoyed each others' company. It felt so nice to host my friends at my actual house for once, and over the course of the evening--and a couple bottles of wine ;)--I feel like we all opened up in a new way to each other. It's funny how you can see people every day but never really get to know them. Taking time out of your normal life to actual spend time talking is so important. And definitely something I want to do more of.

-----

Monday was Martin Luther King day, so like every other school in this country of ours, we were off for the holiday. Of course I should have used more of it than I did to work on my essay so I didn't have to spend so much time finishing it today, but that didn't exactly happen. I wasn't up at some mountain skiing, or soaking in some hottub in Whistler. Instead I decided to include mandatory trips to Target. Okay, mandatory? No. But fun, relaxing ways to unwind? Yes. :) On my way to buy things I don't really need Target, I stopped by Whole Foods.

And while I was out I did something to spread the 'cheer' of the holiday, if you can consider MLK day a cheerful one... There is a man and a woman that I have noticed time and again sitting outside of my local Whole Foods with signs asking for money. They aren't together--they sit at opposite entrances, actually. They are always friendly and always greet me. Yesterday I said hello back, and then a few steps later, turned around and walked back to the man. "Can I buy you something to eat?," I asked him. He said yes, he'd love something. When I asked him what he wanted he looked bewildered at the idea of the option.

Anyway I went inside and picked up what he had asked for (a vitamin water and something from the hot bar) and also bagged a sample piece of deli sandwich and a few samples of protein powder and bars of soap. On my way out I saw the homeless woman whom I gave the sandwich to and one of the soaps, and delivered the rest to him. I introduced myself to both of them and learned their names.

The experience yesterday made me realize that I go through too much of my day, all day, every day, in my own head, not paying attention to the world around me. I concern myself with my problems; staying in my head. I've noticed these people before but having that interaction with them, actually talking to them and learning their names... it was a really good exercise in human compassion and reaching out to help someone else. It wasn't much, but it made me feel good and it was a better use of my money than some extravagant coffee or unnecessary magazine I could have spent it on.

Reaching out to people is definitely a goal of mine this year. Having people over to my house Sunday night and introducing myself and buying lunch for a homeless man may not be monumental strides toward letting people in, but baby steps, right? I felt good about myself, felt like I was actually getting to know my friends--and strangers--and it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment